An in-depth look at different civic strategies invites us to re-think back down to the fundamentals. What is your city's strategy and what does it mean?
Four parts to a strategy-driven program:
- A vision for what you want to achieve
- A set of capabilities or programs you need to get there
- A list of activities to bring them into reality
- Execution, execution, execution
Developing and maintaining a well-founded strategy:
- The best strategies often target a whitespace opportunity where there is not an entrenched competitor and you can get first mover advantage
- Figure out the capabilities and programs you need to have in order to achieve the vision
- Create a value proposition that creates differentiated appeal and which has sustainable competitive advantage
- Think about the capabilities you need across all the dimensions of a city
- Continuous re-evaluation and refinement all along the way
Read the full article, including a case study of Indianapolis, here.